Friday, July 08, 2005

now your picture's on the wall, along with the other pharmacists who have left us.

I've often wondered, why is it always when in parting that I realize how sad it is for me to let go of the familiar? I've always equated familiar with boring and stagnant - comfortable is nice, but this can't be all there is. Hence, I'm always mentally prepared to move on to a next place or stage in life. Then I realize in the face of imminent farewells that there's no need to go anywhere - I'm perfectly happy right here, with you. Everything I had been so eager to leave behind suddenly becomes all the reason for me to stay. All the ordinary, mundane things that are easily dismissed from my mind becomes all too worthy to be sealed and tucked away for reminiscing - because I know that were we ever together again, it would never be the same. This is the way with old friends (a vivid picture of Sandra's tear-stained face at CKS Memorial Airport circa 1998 as she sends off Ron and I), and we can only look forward to the memories we create when our lives cross once again. Despite my bad travel-planning skills, I've booked my flight to SF for labor day weekend. Looking forward to the first of the weddings in our NEHS family.

Coworkers and classmates are more like acquaintances than friends. My relationship to them are usually non-relationships, and most of the times dispersed with awkward attempts to show that I don't really think they're all going to hell. After a year of in-your-face, we-could-all-use-a-Xanax working life together, I have to say I will actually miss anyone who leaves the pharmacy. Here's to my RPh Mike, who returns to Iowa to work in "real" pharmacies and to raise a family.

My horoscope reads, "If you are in a rut, a boss or supervisor may lend words of wisdom to help you find ways out of it."
Mike says, "always wash behind your ears, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I say, "Have you ever thought it's weird that Pluto is Goofy's dog?"
Mike says, "Have you ever noticed that Donald Duck doesn't wear pants, but he puts a towel around his waist when he steps out of the shower?"

I say (with exaggerated finger-shake), "Can't that waitress do just one thing right?!"
Mike says, "haha, watch, Minnie's trying to to be bitchy. do it again!"

I say, "Fare thee well, Michael. It was a pleasure working with you."
Mike hugs me and says, "You're going to be a great pharmacist; all of you... you're all going to be great."

Thanks for making me feel warm and fuzzy ... and sad. Ah, good-byes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home